Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Spring Onion aka Shallots

A few days back, I was surprised to see a small spring onion lying in the backyard ground and overjoyed to see it had already sprung a bunch of leaves. I think it should have escaped my mom's hands when she was throwing the kitchen wastes in the compost bin and it ended up in the ground nearby. It must have been a week old but none of us noticed until then.

Its green foliage is so mesmerizing

On a closer look I could see a part of the onion was slightly wilt. Obviously it is due to this the onion had been discarded to the bin. There was good root development already and a tiny part of its root was into the soil when I found it.



I gently dug it out of the ground to give it a new home.I wanted to give it a nice container and see how it would prosper.So the plant was placed in a small used ice cream box filled with red soil+compost+sand and placed in a location where there is moderate sunlight with a little bit of fertilizer added.


I recall we had attempted to grow spring onion a couple of times before but every time the plant would wilt halfway thus giving no success to our efforts. So we had given up growing spring onion altogether.After seeing this volunteer's leaves I have some hope. Lets see how this goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Comments are most welcome and pls note comment moderation is enabled for older posts.